If you’re thinking about a summer vacation in Vermont (and why not, with miles of magnificent hiking trails, an abundance of lakes, rivers and streams for all kinds of sport, and mountain vistas that will take your breath away), then you should be thinking about the Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mt. Ascutney Resort, located in Brownsville, VT. Whether you’re a couple, a family of 3-4, or an extended family of more, the resort can offer accommodations that are the perfect fit for your party. Choose from standard double rooms, to 1-3 bedroom villas with fully equipped kitchens.
Comfortable rooms are just the beginning. The resort offers so many amenities, they can please even the pickiest guest. You’ll find indoor and outdoor pools, tennis and volleyball courts, racquetball, a fitness center, and a movie theater, to name a few. If you’ve got kids, don’t worry, they can access all these amenities plus an arcade and playground. Plus, WiFi & parking are always free. And that’s just what you have on-site.
Explore Vermont’s legendary outdoors with hiking and biking trails right outside your door. Enjoy backpacking on Mt. Ascutney and Ascutney Trails, kayaking the Connecticut River in Windsor, and even hang gliding in nearby New Hampshire. If you prefer activities that are a little less physical, you can explore the unique shopping and dining options, about 30-minutes away, in the quaint nearby towns of Woodstock & Quechee (named one of the 50 most beautiful small towns by Architectural Digest).
Other popular attractions within a half hour drive include:
- Harpoon Brewery: Enjoy a guided tour on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, where you can learn all about Harpoon and get an up close and personal view of the brewing process.
- Quechee Gorge: Enjoy beautiful vistas 168 feet above the Ottaquechee River, have a picnic overlooking the waterfalls, or get something to eat at the snack bar. Enjoy hiking or walking the trails along the mile-long chasm. Quechee Gorge Village, Public House Restaurant, and Quechee State Park, are all located within walking distance of the Gorge.
- Simon Pearce restaurant and glassblowers: Watch as artisans trained in Simon’s techniques create functional works of art. Eat at the award-winning farm-to-table restaurant overlooking the river, or enjoy a sip and a snack at the bar. Shop glass and pottery designs, handpicked home accents, and near-perfect Seconds at the flagship store.
- Billings Farm & Museum: Your visit includes the livestock barns that house the farm’s dairy herd, draft horses, sheep, and oxen, plus extensive farm life exhibits, the fully-restored & furnished 1890 Farm House, and a variety of activities & programs for every age.
- Sugarbush Farm: Visit the sugarhouse and learn how maple trees are tapped in the spring. Sample four grades of Pure Vermont maple syrup at the farm, learn about the process of making syrup and the differences in the grades. Sample fourteen cheeses and see the work room where the cheese is hand-wrapped & hand-waxed. Shop in the farm house gift shop and walk on the nature trail to the maple sugar woods. You can also spend some reflective time in the farm chapel or have your wedding there.
Mt. Ascutney Resort also offers a number of options to feed your crew. If you want to prepare your own meals, the villas have fully-equipped kitchens. Food can be purchased quite easily from the Brownsville Butcher & Pantry, the local general store (or get a bite to eat there if you want). No kitchen in your unit? No problem. You can still cook on the BBQ grills provided on the property. However, no visit to the resort would be complete without a meal (or 2) at The Maple Kitchen, the resort’s own restaurant, where the menu offers a “taste of Vermont” with local ingredients that embrace farm-to-table dining. From berries picked by local growers, to meats and cheeses procured from Green Mountain Smoke House, to spirits made at local distilleries, the food is farm fresh and richly flavorful.
For your summer vacation in Vermont, what more could you want? Comfortable accommodations, amenities to meet your every need, so many activities that you will have to make some difficult choices (because there’s never enough time for everything), and dining options to fit your taste & budget. If you’re still not convinced, give the resort a call and they will answer all your questions – 802-484-7711. (Be sure to mention VERMONT.COM when calling!)